[NBLUG/talk] network problems (local)

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue Apr 29 14:51:01 PDT 2003

Don't use telnet!!!!  With that said...

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 14:02, Glen Gunsalus wrote:
> I can ping machine 2 (running RH6.2 - IP 192.168.1.21) on 192.168.1 subnet
>
> I can telnet to machine 2 from machine 1 ok.
>
> Can't telnet from 2 to 1, I get "connection refused"

WHAAAAA WHHHAAAAA  WHAAAAAA there it is right there....

Luckily most RH installs now turn off unwanted/unsafe services.  You must turn
them on manually if you want to offer them.... especially telnetd.  It is run
through the superserver xinetd on a redhat box.  You can see the
configuration for telnet server in the /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file.  If you
want you can edit this file and change the line disable = yes to disable = no
and restart xinetd.  To restart it; at a root prompt, type;

# service xinetd restart

OR if you want to use the chkconfig utility from a root prompt type:
# chkconfig telnet on
..then type;
# service xinetd restart

Now, login to the box.

> Ok, where do I look now?  Something in the 2.3 kernel I have to tweak?

It is a 2.4 kernel, no tweaking necessary.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer