[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Mon Aug 4 08:40:03 PDT 2003

Eric -

<<<
Do you mean that when you're not root and run the terminal, it comes up
without any prompt

Correct!  No prompt...just a white screen/window.

This is RH 9.0.

I did not notice this in the beginning since I set the default to KDE
where everything runs fine...in fact, coming from Windows, I am very
impressed.  Then one day I decided to "take a look at Gnome".  When I
tried to bring up the Terminal window, there was no prompt (I thought it
was a keyboard problem).  By going back to KDE and using the
"gnome-terminal" command from it's terminal window I was able to gleen
the information I have presented.

Todd