[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Aug 4 10:34:00 PDT 2003

So you are saying the results of the suggested test provide no file in
/tmp  when you tried from the broken terminal window?

Imagine typing "blind" and after you paste that (or something like it)
into the "broken" terminal and press return, you won't see any text. Then
check to see if the file is there.
touch /tmp/my.file
touch /tmp/your.file
(etc)
and check to see if the files actually are there in another window.

We need to diagnose this:

Is this a problem with the display of the terminal (not showing you any
I/O even though it is actually doing the work) OR

Is the terminal "hung" in a kind of "wait state" where no IO is going on.

Once we have an idea which is the issue, we have started the process of
diagnosis. However, I can't help much without feedback on results.

-ME