[NBLUG/talk] apt-get repositories

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Tue Aug 12 11:50:03 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:00:28AM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:32:42PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> > I'm just curious what else I should add to the list.
>
> Is there anything specific you're looking to do that the freshrpms
> repositories don't have?  The biggest other apt4rpm repository I can think
> of holds a bunch of Java stuff (primarily development tools, but a few
> applications), but there's certainly other things out there...

I'm not looking for anything specific, really.  This kind of started when I
found out that there was a new version of gaim (.66) and I thought I'd
upgrade.  I was surprised that freshrpms didn't have a new version than mine (.64).

I don't mean to sound ungrateful;  I realize that in the voluntary universe of open source that not everyone is there to serve *me* <smiley>.

As a follow-up question:  What's the best way to find out the purpose of some
of the less obvious packages in my list?

When I run apt-get it offers up a long list of things that it thinks should
be upgraded, but I don't know what most of them do.  I suspect I don't a lot
of them, and I would like to remove them (but I am scared!).

I also realize that I wouldn't get such a big list (with the enormous
dial-up time estimate) if I would just update more frequently.  (My
dentist gave me a similar speech this morning...)

-- Dave.