[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Tue Aug 12 15:32:01 PDT 2003

One approach to creating a "kiosk" is not to worry too much about
security, but to have no state.  If you net boot, and use an NFS server as
your read only root file system, the users can't break anything
permanently.  If something goes wrong, just power cycle it.

You can make or buy boot proms for most cards that don't have them, and
many computers nowadays come with net booting capability already built in.

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Just once, I wish we would encounter an alien menace that wasn't
  immune to bullets.
                  -- The Brigadier, "Dr. Who"