[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Aug 12 18:44:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 06:33:04PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
} >
} >} I think I've also heard of a version of OpenOffice.org which is
} >} 'prelinked,' which means it comes up quite a bit faster.  (Still dog
} >slow,
} >} but not AS dog slow ;^) )
} >
} >I installed the windows version of OpenOffice 1.1 and it does this.
} >Is there a linux version that works that way?
}
} I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux version of OpenOffice 1.1 does this.
} Keep in mind, however, that OpenOffice 1.1 has NOT been released yet; the
} version available from the website is clearly marked as a release
} candidate. The final release is not expected until late September/early
}  October, the same time they intend to officially kick off the education
} campaign (and until then, I'm just trying to gathering support for it).

Sun was giving away OpenOffice 1.1 CDs at the Linux Expo.  I just looked
closely at it and it says "Release Candidate 2".  First time I noticed
it.  I tried loading a msword file used for printing floppy disk labels,
but it didn't come out right.  That's the only thing I've tried with it.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com