[NBLUG/talk] Push Methods

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Aug 13 12:16:01 PDT 2003

It's not push but I am telling you... for Red Hat yum is one little kickass
proggie, it runs as a service/cron job if you want...  Silently keeping your
boxes up-to-date without a burp.  If there is a burp you get an E-mail from
the cronjob.

Features include:
Multiple Repositories
Simple config file
Correct dependency calculation
Fast operation
rpm-consistent behavior
comps.xml group support, including multiple repository groups
Simple interface

http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

On one of my Red Hat 8/Ximian2 Desktop boxen I run all 3 biggies, Red Carpet,
apt and yum.  Yeah....  I know enough about getting them to play nice that I
haven't been burned...

I really think you should give yum a look.

Also take a look at the fedora project...  It is slowly taking shape,
combination of apt and yum.  I took another gander at it yesterday but I
haven't taken a bite yet.

http://www.fedora.us/

RPM's are hell, apt is far superior..... but until we all switch to gentoo,
Slack or FreeBSD we have to work with what is in front of us.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer