[NBLUG/talk] ATTN: Todd Carry: Talked to the Computer Recycling Center

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:59:00 PDT 2003

I talked to the Computer Recycling Center about 30 minutes ago.  They are
running Windows on most of their recycled computer, but they are already
using OpenOffice on them!

They are running Windows on most of the computers because most donations
come with an OEM license, which they recycle with the rest of the computer.
However, I was able to get their interest when I suggested that they install
Linux on those donated computers that lack an OEM license.  I left them with
a set of RedHat 9 CD's, and told them about the InstallFests.

Perhaps the Petaluma Valley Rotary Club would do well to contact the
Computer Recycling Center now?  Maybe a deal could now be reached under
which a refurbished, Internet-ready Linux PC actually could be provided to
every third-grader in the district.

And if this doesn't work, maybe we can start our own Computer Recycling
Center.

Lincoln