[NBLUG/talk] Fwd: OOo education marketing strategy

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 14:49:01 PDT 2003

I just got this message from Ian.  He has partially formalized the strategy
for putting OpenOffice in schools, although he is certain that the exacy
procedure will vary by country.

I live in Rohnert Park, and I know that I can get CD's to Rancho Cotate High
School.  I can also try to get something to happen in Thomas Page School
(the K-8 school in Cotati) and Marguerite Hahn Elementary School.  If anyone
on this list has even one contact in any school (teacher OR student), I
would strongly recommend that you try to get the word into the school, even
if you cannot be there on October 13 and/or you cannot burn CD's.  We *will*
find a way to get those CD's into their hands.

Ian is also interested in the names of anyone who wants to participate (so
that he can say how big the effort really is when he writes the press
release).  If you want to get involved, send an e-mail either to me or to
Ian <ian.lynch2 at ntlworld.com>.  Use the subject line "OOoEduHelper" if you
e-mail Ian.

For those who might fail to see the advantages of OpenOffice over Microsoft
Office: consider that Microsoft Office XP Professional costs $429.99 at
CompUSA.  At Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/), CD-R media costs as
little as $0.17 per disc.  That means that, for the price of one copy of
Microsoft Office XP Professional, one could burn 2,529 OpenOffice CD's!
Furthermore, there is no limit, theoretical or legal, to the number of
computers that you could install OpenOffice on with just one of those 2,529
CD's!

And if that's not enough, a complete list of new features in OpenOffice 1.1
(many of which are completely lacking in Microsoft Office) is available at
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.1rc3/features.html

Lincoln