[NBLUG/talk] cellular modem in linux (not cell phone!)

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 14:25:01 PDT 2003

I've never actually used one, but most of these kinds of cards just
emulate a regular old modem.

It should have a serial port associated with it, try them... it should
respond to regular old AT commands.  The number you actually have to
dial to get out will depend on which who your CDPD service provider is.
  After that.. just config it like any old PPP modem.  You might want to
use diald, and have a short timeout if your plan is by the minute.

The windows "driver" for this modem is just a simple ".inf" file. You
can find it at www.driverguide.com (or download it from compaq/HP), but
it's pretty much a vanilla modem configuration.  The default PPP
scripts will probably work with it.

   -- Mitch