[NBLUG/talk] Time to RTFM, but which FM? -- Mounting home directories via nfs

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Wed Aug 27 15:21:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:44, Doug Palmer wrote:
> OK, I have /home exported from the big server and nfs mounted on the
> workstations. Seems to be OK for my user accounts, but local root gets
> permission denied for any action on the nfs mounted files. What did I
> miss?

When the root user accesses an exported NFS filesystem, it actually runs
as the user nobody.  The no_root_squash option (as Eric mentioned) will
make it work, but if some evil computer is able to look like the NFS
client computer (IP or hostname or whatever), then it will allowed root
access on the no_root_squash export. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe some other NFS guru can fill us in on the answer.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy