[NBLUG/talk] Synaptic error

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 1 15:26:01 PST 2003

I tried to upgrade Synaptic (http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/) on my
Debian system from the old version in "stable" to the version in
"unstable" (which I hoped would look and feel more like the Synaptic I
see in the screenshots on their website).  However, I am now getting the
following error whenever I try to start Synaptic:

# synaptic
synaptic: relocation error: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol: XRenderQuerySubpixelOrder

I tried to revert to the older version, but apparently something else
got upgraded (I don't remember what) when Synaptic upgraded.  As a
result, I get the following dependency error:

# apt-get remove synaptic
[no problems]
# apt-get -t stable install synaptic
[snip]
  synaptic: Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2-3.2
E: Broken dependencies

Does anyone know what that means?  And how do I fix this?

At the moment, I am not familiar enough with Debian's command-line tools
to figure all of this out myself.  And I already searched Google for
this error, to no avail.

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>