[NBLUG/talk] Wow! Latest trends for web server use....

troy fryman at sonic.net
Thu Dec 4 10:55:01 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 03:56:25PM -0800, ME wrote:
> CHeck out the latest stats on web servers...
> http://news.netcraft.com/
> Looks like apache is now winning out at over 3 to 1 over MS IIS!
>
> Pretty nifty!
>
> In fact, according to the statistics, apache accounts for over 2 times as
> many web server as all other web servers combined!

I think even more telling and impressive is the Netcraft report a month
or two ago (I can't find it on the site) of the number of large hosting
companies that switched to IIS/win2kx but then switched back to
Linux/Apache within a couple of months.  This is almost certainly due to
Linux/Apache being much better than windows at hosting bazillions of IP
addresses and not so much a reflection of other server capabilities, but
still, it's pretty neat.  No word on why they switched in the first
place...

Even better is the fact that hotmail failed to migrate to Exchange and
instead ran qmail for long after microsoft bought the company. But that
story runs on port 25 so I guess it's OT for this thread.

The real coup would be windowsupdate running Linux =)

-troy