[NBLUG/talk] rpm question

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Dec 4 22:01:02 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:04:17PM -0800, Mike Egan, ME wrote:
} I don't do much RedHat, so here is a question from the peanut gallery...
}
} If you  overlay one RPM over another that was built using the specfile
} with mods, what happens when an up2date or security update is performed?
} Is the update manager smart enough to know that the version installed is a
} custom build so that it will not overwrite it with a "newer security
} update" that does not have interbase support? If so, does it tell the user
} that they will need to manually rebuild a new copy of a php plugin with a
} new src rpm that has been patched?
}
} If not, what is the suggested method for staying with custome RPM and
} security updates.

If you are creating a custom RPM that you don't want overwritten just
give it a huge version number (package-99.0.0.i386.rpm) and up2date or
whatever tool your using won't find a newer version.  If you make a new
version it can be 99.0.1.

With RedHat < 7.3 I made a dummy sendmail package with a huge version
number that installed nothing.  It satisfied all the dependencies, then
I ran postfix compiled from source (I didn't make a postfix RPM).

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com