[NBLUG/talk] Debian package dependency weirdness

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sat Dec 6 11:09:00 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 19:37, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 19:28, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > Having gotten Synaptic to work, I experimented with this a little more.
> > I discovered that it is allowing me to install and remove packages as
> > usual, although it tries (and fails) to install libpisync0 every time.
> > As far as I can tell, the only problem (at least now) is a harmless
> > error message popping up after every apt-get operation.
>
> Then again, maybe not.  Synaptic now wants me to remove evolution and
> gnome-pilot-conduits before it will let me do anything else!  This is
> exactly what apt-get was doing earlier!

I didn't see an update to this question so I'll take a stab at it.

I believe that Ximian's sources and the Debian tree sometimes don't play
fair.  When I first tried to install evolution, I made the mistake of
using the Ximian sources and apt-get installing evolution-ximian.  This
didn't play fair with the Debian dependencies.

I eventually found out that evolution is already in the package base,
and removed all the ximian junk and installed the regular evolution.

If apt-get is asking you to remove evolution, it could be because a
conflict between either evolution-ximian or some other Ximian package
which has a file in the same location.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

--