[NBLUG/talk] RPM Segmentation Fault

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sun Dec 7 09:28:01 PST 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 07:50, Todd Cary wrote:
> Mark -
>
> In addition to the kernel update, the automatic up2date has a very long
> list of packages that it wants to update.  The list [see another post]
> includes
>
>  glibc-2.3.2-101.1.i386.rpm
>  glibc-2.3.2-101.1.i686.rpm
>  glibc-common-2.3.2-101.1.i386..>
>
> There are two glibc-2.3.2-101.1 packages: one i386 and one i686.  The
> updated kernel is i686.  This brings up some questions for me (I hope
> these questions are helpful to others too):
>
> 1) What is the difference between an i386 and i686 package?

i386 packages are created for all x86 archs from 386 to 686.
i686 packages are created specifically for i686 arch, as they utilize specific
capabiliities of the i686 processor.  If you installUPgrade an i386 package
over an i686 package it breaks the system... until you fix it.

There are only 3 packages that are i686 specific on Red Hat that you need to
pay attention to if and when you are doing manual updates.

kernel
glibc
openssl

> 2) The kernel at boot up is listed as i686.  What is a i386 and i686
> kernel?

Same as above.

> 3) Do I need to update all of those packages?

NO, you don't have to do anything....  If you don't want or need a package
then erase it.  That is the best way.  I would definitely do the kernel and
glibc, then pare down your system taking off the stuff you don't want.

Again,... the perils of installing Everything ...  In my admin courses we
never install everything, in fact we install bare bones and build the system
up....  So we know what it contains.

> Trying to get a handle on Linux/Fedora

It might be good to take a course.... ; )

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer