[NBLUG/talk] Creating an image

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Mon Dec 8 13:45:01 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:36:26PM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> In the Windows environment, I use Ghost to create an image of my system
> disk for rebuilds or to install on another box.  Is there a way to make
> a copy of my custom installation of Fedora in case of a HD failure?

dd is your friend.  i don't have time to go into a lot of detail here, but
we're actually working on an imaging system here at my office to use in our
machine room and it's going to envolve dd and most likely ssh as the
transport to the server that will store the images.  if people are
interested, i can dive deeper later when i'm not as busy.

ignoring the guy's post that started this /. story, there is some good info
in here about what others use to image their boxes.  most of the free
solutions suggest dd.

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/12/1748242&mode=thread&tid=137&tid=185&tid=190&tid=198&tid=201

hth,

-dustin