[NBLUG/talk] nblug newbie here, distro+applic. query...

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Mon Dec 8 18:09:01 PST 2003

A few observations of my own on various distros and software, although I'm
not hardly as qualified as some of the folks on the list..

1) I don't believe that Debian is well-suited for anyone (I don't know about
you, you did say you were a UNIX admin so that nudges a little more towards
Debian) that wants pretty point-and-clicks for configurations.  Almost
nothing in Debian is point-and-click for system configuration.  OTOH, Debian
is much more nicely structured about where configurations are placed which
is quite refreshing.

2) Debian does have a "Debian Jr." package set that is basically a kids
version.  I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.

3) Mandrake is, on the other hand, excellent for those who like
point-and-click everything with quick/easy hardware detection and reasonable
Windows integration.  I heard something about it automagically detecting
Windows drives and fonts on install and then proceeding to convert the fonts
and install them for you.  I dunno how reliable that is, but it sounds cool.
It also has good plug-n-pray support.

4) Personally, I'm a little hesitant to suggest Redhat because of the latest
changes in their offerings, but I tried Redhat 9 when it came out.  It was
basically Redhat 8 but refined and cleaned up quite a bit.  I have not tried
Fedora yet but have discs for it and plan to.

5) Someone mentioned Crossover Office and I've heard good things about it,
but it is pricy last I checked.

6) If you buy an out-of-box distro, what you're likely to get is something
that's at least a few months old, however if you get a distro from burned
CDs like Lincoln was offering, you're more likely to get recent software and
not having to apt-get update/upgrade tons of packages

7) If you go Debian, I'd recommend to stick with stable.  unstable moves
along much quicker as far as updates, you'll end up downloading a lot more
everytime you update.

Wow..  That ended up a lot longer than I expected.  Good luck to you! :)
- Christopher Wagner
chrisw at pacaids.com

Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
P.O. Box 9144
San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
http://www.pacaids.com/
(415) 454-4868 x116