[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat Install issues

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Dec 9 11:21:02 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:15:07AM -0800, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> My laptop installs on my Dell Latitude CPi series laptop have always gone
> smoothly (installed RH 8, then Debian 3.0r1 Woody).  I installed on an old
> Toshiba Satellite Pro 445 (I think that's the model) and it went smooth as
> glass, if maybe a bit slow.
>
> I've seen it go in smoothly on IBM Thinkpads as well and Gateway Solos.
> Though I've seen problems with HP and Compaq units, and with Acers.
>
> Just thought I'd throw that in there so people don't think that it's a pain
> installing Linux on most laptops..  I've had pretty good experience with it.
> :)
>
> - Christopher Wagner
> chrisw at pacaids.com

[snip]

Yeah it really depends on the laptop.  Dells and IBMs generally have few
problems with most Linux distributions, and Sony laptops always seem to
cause the most problems.  Usually getting some of the special functions
like any application buttons on the laptop itself working can be
challenging, as can power management if your laptop only supports ACPI.

Here's my page detailing the hoops I jumped through to get the majority of
the hardware supported on my Fujitsu P2110 (winmodem still doesn't work).

http://greenfly.org/fujitsu/

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President