[NBLUG/talk] Re: IP aliases, effect on security?

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Feb 12 23:43:01 PST 2003

hi Daniel,

i run up to 16 ip addresses on a single interface, and at the same time
run up to 8 name-based domains on some of these ip address.   this is on
single, dual and 4-processor sun sparc boxes running mostly Solaris 8 but
a couple of the uniprocessor boxes are still running SunOS 4.

the reasons vary for the choices, but in this environment i have
simultaneous connections to two isp's and for long term load balancing,
move domains from one pipe to the other from time to time, by moving
content to a server on a different network.  in addition, portions of
some sites, such as images are run from servers in other parts of the
country while the text and scripts are run locally in Santa Rosa.

so you don't have to choose ip based or name based, you can run both at
the same time.

-ron

---snip---