[NBLUG/talk] Update on NBLUG mirrors

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Tue Feb 25 17:46:01 PST 2003

Hello all,

For those of you who were not at last month's meeting, I thought I'd send
out an update on what the future plans are for the NBLUG mirrors.

Moving forward, Sonic would like to provide NBLUG with 10GB of bandwidth per
month.  Currently, we are far exceeding that number (so far this month,
which hasn't been as bad, we've sent out 16.91GB and taken in 4.38GB, and
last month we sent 25.9GB and received 2.42GB.)  Eric and I have looked at
some stats and tried to figure out what would work best for everyone
involved.  I don't think we have a 100% effective solution, or rather, I
don't think we're 100% positive that our solution will solve the problem,
but we think it's a start.

Starting on March 1st, access to ISO images will be restricted to folks
coming from a sonic.net IP address (as Sonic is willing to waive traffic
destined for, or originating from, their network) and via rsync to
non-sonic.net IP addresses.  The thought is that rsync is a much more
reliable way to download ISO's so perhaps if someone looses their connection
during a transfer, it will be easier to pickup where they left off, rather
than starting the transfer from scratch.

We have not made any plans for what to do if this does not solve our
bandwidth issue.  If anyone has any questions, please post them to the talk
list.

Thanks,

-Dustin

--