irc.nblug.org down?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Jan 15 16:15:15 PST 2003

augie said:
> i'm on, but i'm pointing at  and then #nblug

Yes. irc.freenode.net is the new name for the irc network in use to take
over for for opemprojects. Some changes have been made to their name and
been passed through their servers and DNS.

The reason why irc.nblug.org does not work is that it is a DNS alias to
irc.openprojects.net and just needs to be changed to be an alias to
irc.freenode.net in the config file for the nblug.org domain for bind.

When you ping irc.nblug.org, you get a hint. When you dig, you get the
data. The unknown non-intuitive "trivia" is the change made from
irc.openprojects.net to irc.freenode.net to build the answer.

dugan at hoch:$ ping irc.nblug.org
ping: unknown host irc.nblug.org

dugan at hoch:$ dig irc.nblug.org
[snip]
irc.nblug.org.          3077    IN      CNAME   irc.openprojects.net.
[snip]

The only reason I know about the trivia, is that I found many wall
messages to me from the servers telling me I was connected to the server
with the old name and that I should change my server name to use the new
one. It seems they messaged me many times while my idle times slowly
increased. Part of me wondered if they'd kill my connection if I left it
running, but I decided to play nice and change my /etc/irc/servers

BTW, error: thanks for posting the links for the new media player - it
sounds kick-ass. :-D

-ME