[NBLUG/talk] Good Linux book?

Jeff Hemminger jeff at dreadidread.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 6 11:23:00 PDT 2003

Todd Cary wrote:

> With the plethora of books available, I am still finding it hard to
> obtain the "right book for me" and suggestions are welcomed.  Here are
> the books I do have:
>
> "Linux in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly.  I find it a good reference book if
> one already knows the commands.
>
> "Linux for Dummies".  Some good stuff, but overall, too basic.
>
> "Linux Complete, Second edition".  Very good book for me since it is
> written from the Windows perspective.
>
> My primary language is Delphi (and I want to start doing some things
> witih Kylix) with some "C" and "C++" experience; all in the Windows
> environment (and yes, some in the CP/M environment :-) ).  When I was
> maintaining the 800 number lookup system at MCI, I learned Perl since
> my platform was SCO Unix.  "Make" files I understand, but "configure"
> and "apx" files are new for me.  Also, the term "DSO" and "SO" are new.
>
> So, I need a book to help fill in the gap.  Maybe I just need to dive
> in and write some simple "C" programs or get a Kylix book with the
> assumption that many of these areas will be covered out of necessity.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Todd

There are several outstanding books that are part of the Linux
Documentation Project:
http://www.tldp.org/

Aside from innumerable howtos that have saved me numerous times, click
on guides and you will find downloadable pdfs of roughly a dozen books,
some of which have been published. Don't quote me on this, but from what
I can tell authors publish the free pdf here to collect comments prior
to publishing the book. I found Rute Linux here before it was published,
and I can recommend that for any newbie.

At any rate I don't think you can really beat this site for information!
(at least I haven't yet, be sure and holler at me if you have a better
place)
Noteworthy books found for free at this site:
-"The Linux Cookbook: Tips and Techniques for Everyday Use"
-"The Linux System Administrators' Guide"
-"The Linux Network Administrator's Guide, Second Edition"

Check them out, and if you like them you can either take the pdf to
kinkos and have them bound, or buy the book from the publisher.