[NBLUG/talk] Samba running slow...

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Jul 9 08:00:03 PDT 2003

Todd Cary said:
> I installed RH 9 on a box and Samba ran great: copying files from the NT
> box to the Linux box and visa versa.  Then I tried to recompile Apache
> with some additional extensions to PHP only to get the system fairly
> well tied up, so I reinstalled Apache and the other servers from the RH
> disks which I believe included Samba.  Now my copying files to Linux is
> very slow, but coming the other way is fast.
>
> Not being proficient with Linux, I am not sure where to look for the
> problem.  Any suggestions?

Tough problem to diagnose, but some suggestions...

Look at the smbd and nmbd log files around the time you connect to see if
anything is report that might be helpful.

Check out the option "log level =" in smb.conf. You may need to restart
smbd if daemonized or HUP inetd if started there. Setting the log level to
10 is probably enough.

Make sure you have only one instance of samba installed. If you have done
little customization you could always uninstall it and reinstall it, but
that does not really tell you what is wrong (or if it fixes it, what was
wrong.)

Make sure any hostnames references within a UNC name exist in localhost,
lmhosts or work with DNS lookup.

Try copying a file from the server and then copying a file back to the
server immediately. (same results as when you copy a file to the server
and then copy a file from it?)

Is your samba daemonized or based in inetd?

Is this only ono files being overwritten or also on fles that are being
created as new?

How about other transfers to/from the server?

Just some starting ideas... (Have not seen this behavior until now.)

-ME