[NBLUG/talk] HP BIOS Flash

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Jul 9 20:10:03 PDT 2003

You may be able to fix (or at least work around) this problem without
flashing the bios.  This sounds like a case of the bootloader failing
because the the bios won't let it get access beyond cyl. 1024 of the
disk (a common problem with older bios's).  The kernel (or something
else the booloader needs) is located beyond that point on disk.

The best way to handle this limitation is to make a small partition at
the beginning of the disk when you build the system.  have this house
just the /boot directory.  Then use the rest of the disk to make larger
partitions for /, /usr, /home, etc.  You can even put the rest of the
disk into a single root partition (probably the best for a home
workstation.

   -- Mitch