[NBLUG/talk] Neat command line tricks

derf derf at sonic.net
Wed Jul 9 21:34:01 PDT 2003

> I just thought of one more.  I once wanted to print a man page out on
> paper and found the neat little trick of:
>
> man -t <manpage> | lpr
>
> man -t <manpage> processes the manpage through groff and then echo's it
> out to the screen as a postscript file, which I redirect to lpr.
>
> Jeremy

Looking at that, it seems so OBVIOUS - but I had never thought of that at
all. That is really neat! I've been linux-only for four years now, and in
some ways I still ignore things like 'everything is a file' and other such
maxims. Once you get into it, this stuff is surprisingly straightforward.

Kevin