[NBLUG/talk] OpenSSH2 with public key (no password)

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Fri Jul 11 14:14:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 01:53:28PM -0400, Bob Blick wrote:
[snip]
> Basically I'm trying to use scp or scftp in batch mode, so I must first
> have the two machines set up to do ssh without a password. Note that this
> is two linux boxes that ssh fine using a password. Client is behind an NAT
> firewall.
>
> The docs I've read say to generate a key pair on the client, which I have,
> copy the public key to host as ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 and then bingo it
> should work. However it doesn't. Tried both rsa and dsa.

[snip]
> OK, help please.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I'm going to try to propose a different way to go about it.  First you need
to install the lufs utilities (install the lufs rpm under Redhat, or apt-get
install lufs-utils under Debian).  In that package there is a handy tool
called "lussh" that you can use to automate this copying process.

After installing, basically you run "lussh" and it will prompt you for the
remote server to connect to, what user to connect to on it, and then prompt
you for your password twice.  It will copy over and set up all your
authentication with your public key.  Then it will ask for another server.
Just hit enter and it will close.  At this point you should be able to log
in remotely without a password.

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
http://greenfly.org