[NBLUG/talk] Java plug-in - Mozilla

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Jul 17 10:37:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:08:31AM -0700, Dave Rohling wrote:
} I'm having the hardest time installing the Java plug-in on Redhat 9.0 with
} Mozilla. Any suggestions? Sun's docs don't seem to help. As I recall, it was
} a pretty simple process on Netscape a few years ago.

I just did this a couple weeks ago.  You have to get the correct version
of the java plugin for the compiler version used by RedHat 9.

The file I got was j2re-1_4_1_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin

You need a symbolic link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:
libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_03/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Restart mozilla and look under help, plugins and java should show up.

You need to make sure java is turned on in mozilla, it was off by
default.  Edit, preferences, advanced: turn on java.  It's not under
scripts, that's only javascript.

I think that was everything.

This page is a quick easy test to see if java is working:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com