[NBLUG/talk] boot hang after 'Configuring kernel parameters'

Bob Blick bobblick at covad.net
Fri Jul 18 11:09:00 PDT 2003

augie said:
> all of a sudden i booted up my laptop after not using for a while, and
> the boot up process stops after the line:

> so the above is for archival purposes in case someone else runs into the
> same problem, my real question is, does this mean i need a new CMOS
> battery, or is there something else i should be doing?

Hi Augie,

Many laptops use a tiny nicad or nimh CMOS battery that charges from the
main battery, so if your main battery is dead, a couple of weeks later
your CMOS battery also goes dead.

Just leave the laptop running on AC for 24 hours and it should start
ticking again and then set the hwclock.

Home PC's use a non-rechargeable CMOS battery, usually lithium-organic(as
opposed to lithium-ion).

Cheers,

Bob