[NBLUG/talk] Linux Answering Machine

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue Jun 3 12:21:01 PDT 2003

Well..... that's just up my alley.  In my opinion you have two choices, both
have web based interfaces to retrieve messages, as well as sending messages
to your E-mail account:

VOCP http://vocp.sourceforge.net/
Simple, requires a voice modem - a REAL one....

or

Asterisk PBX - http://asterisk.org
Very powerful, requires telephony card/s, serves all types of voice protocols
http://digium.com  for the hardware.

I have installed an configured both of them for different companies deploying
messaging solutions.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses depending on
what you are looking to deploy.

My office answering machine among other things ..... is a RH7.3 Asterisk
server running on an old P266MMX....

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer