[NBLUG/talk] my laptop & wireless ethernet

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Jun 6 22:41:01 PDT 2003

Micxz (lovedialup.com) said:

>> First, when using your distro's kernel, your distro will often provide
>> (but not install by default) the kernel src package for the same version
>> kernel you are running. You may need to install this.
>>
>> Next, "configure" scripts often accept args. Try:
>> # cd to/dir/with/src/you/want/to/compile/mentioned/above/
>> # ./configure --help |more
>>
>> look through the options. There may be an option like --kernel-src=PATH
>> where you can do this:
>> # ./configure --kernel-src=/usr/src/path/to/your/kernel/src
>> It may not be called --kernel-src, just look through the various options
>> and see if there is something like that.
>

> The configure script is actually interactive, it asks were the source is
> and the default (/usr/src/linux) does not work.
>
> I don't know were to look.

The standard location (even for most distros) to locate kernel src is
/usr/src/*****
Sometimes /usr/src/linux
Sometimes /usr/src/linux-2.x.y....
Cd to that dir and see what is there
If you have nothing that is "linux" or has linux in the name, then you
have not installed the linux source package.

Please do not be insulted with this next statement, as it is not intended:
(Even if you know this, others on this list may not...)

Just because you have a linux kernel and are running linux does not mean
you have installed the linux src. The linux src is the code required to
compile the linux kernel. Even if you have the "linux kernel header files"
that may not be sufficient for the program you are trying to build.

-ME