[NBLUG/talk] recommend distro for ancient iMac

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jun 8 12:59:00 PDT 2003

Daniel Smith said:

> I was just given an old iMac 233mhz (160mb ram).
> I'm mulling over the idea of hanging a printer off
> of it, and having it do some music streaming
> to the rest of the house.  (shifting lightweight
> tasks to it)
>
> OS X is just going to bog on this thing, so I'm
> wondering what PPC distro's (besides Debian)
> I should consider.
>
> I'd be curious to hear of any other ancient
> iMac owners that put Linux on their boxes
> (and of some of the uses - basically, how
> have you divvied up machine tasks on your
> home network?)

Several years back, YellowDog Linux was a common PPC-based Linux Distro
that many people liked. I am not sure if they are now as well liked as
they were, but they are still around:
http://lwn.net/Articles/25958/

There was a Mandrake distro for PPC macs, but Not sure if they are
actively developing any more or as actively as they were.
They are selling Madrake 9.1 for PPC...
http://www2.mandrakestore.com/mdkinc/index.php?PAGE=tab_0/menu_0.php&id_art=295&LANG_=en#GOTO_295
However, I think Mandrake files for Bankruptcy (reorganiztion or
protection from creditors , not sure) early this year (Jan 2003).
People still get support from them and they are still selling products.

You mentioned Debian, so I guess you know about that.
An associate at work is using Debian Linux on his new Mac. (I think.)

Dont remember any others. They are probably more. I'll add YDL to the
links page if it is not there.

-ME