[NBLUG/talk] RE: arghh! I HATE it when that happens..

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jun 9 22:25:01 PDT 2003

Jim Bianchi said:
>>>       I'm trying to install xine on my laptop (RH 8.0). So I finally
>>> get all the files it wants and untar one, su to root and run
>>> ./configure, and it tells me 'checking for gcc ..no. checking for cc
>>> .. no. error: no acceptable cc found.'
>>>
>>>       What do I do now? I know, find, dload and install gcc. Well, what
>>> do you want to bet THAT'LL bomb because something ELSE is needed?
>>>
>>>       Anyway, on disc 3 of the Rh 8.0 install CD set I used there is a
>>> file named 'gcc-objc-3.2-7.i386.rpm.' Is that what I want? My system
>>> is an i686. I'm really flying blind here, and need some help.
>
>>Generally speaking, older standards for processors will have code that
>>works with newer ones. (Intelx86 forward)
>>
>>386 is like a baseline. Generally speaking, it means that that package
>>will work on a 386 or better.
>>
>>Something that is not so safe:
>>Including i686 packages on a system that has libs and a kernel that were
>>set to be a 386 or 486.
>
> 	Ok, thanks. The kernel on that machine is definitely i686, no
> problemo. But when I tried to have a look at my kernel, I found the
> /usr/src dir was empty. I googled for the 2.4.18-14 kernel, found
> linux-2.4.18-14.tar.gz, dloaded and untarred it to put something into the
> /usr/src dir. I've not done anything with it, for I had an awful thought:
> Since this was a generic kernel, how do I tell it (and is it necessary to
> tell it at all) it should optimize for an i686 when it compiles?

RedHat is a bit different for kernels. Generally speaking you have a
choice. You can go with the RedHat prepackaged kernels that are customized
with extra drivers and mods and often are what are used to create the
kernels running on your system, or you can go with a stock kernel.

If you have decided to build your own kernel and run it, then it does not
matter which path you take. However, if you do not plan to build your own
kernel and are only using a packaged kernel for other apps to reference
data in their compilation, you will probably want to just use the
prepackaged kernel that matched the kernel that you are running. (It
should on one of the CDs that you used to install your original system.)

To answer this question, when you configure your kernel, you would likely
want to choose the processor that most accurately describes your
processor.