[NBLUG/talk] my laptop & wireless ethernet

augie schwer at sonic.net
Tue Jun 10 05:55:01 PDT 2003

Micxz (lovedialup.com) wrote:
> My 802.11b setup is still not working as a client on my linux laptop,
> I'm installed the src for my kernel and tried building the driver for
> the device, and got past the last part when it asks for
> "/usr/src/linux", but now the next question is were is the src for \
> some other package, I don't even recognize.
> I guess I have to hit the books again, like almost everytime I make
> new moves in linux;
> My card is listed as compatable on most lists and there is a linux
> driver available from the product website (lynksys WPC11). The provide
> the file "linux-wlan-ng-0.1.14-pre1". But I already see wlan.conf on
> my system, and have not been able to build or install this package. I
> wish it just worked; But now I have to know why it's broken;

i have found that building and using the wlan-ng stuff has been the
biggest pain in the ass ever. i got it to work once, but i forgot how,
so now that i am trying to get it working again and i have to
re-research how to get it all working.

you can find newer versions of wlan-ng at:

http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/

first you'll need to collect the required source packages (this is all
in the README). you'll need the kernel source package for your running
kernel, and the pcmcia-cs source package.

source packages usually have the suffix *.src.rpm and may install
themsleves under /usr/src/RPM/ somewhere. to find the current version of
a package you have you can run the following command from the command
prompt:

# rpm -qa | grep kernel
# rpm -qa | grep pcmcia

you may be able to find the source packages on your distrobution cds if
not, they should be online someplace (rpmfind.net).

now theoretically you are just supposed to be able to start building the
wlan-ng module, but if i remember correctly there is one last thing you
have to do, and that is turn off PCMCIA support in your kernel config
file, which will be located in /usr/src/linux/.config . i forget which
one of those lines it is, but it's in there somewhere.

now if everything compiles fine you should be able to just pop in your
card and it will load the wlan-ng driver (prism2_cs) if you want to go
back to using your old driver the only way i've found so far is to
remove the wlan.conf file (/etc/pcmcia/ i think).

now that you've got it all compiled don't expect it to work like it
should, that is using the wireless-tools like iwconfig and the like,
because it won't, and this is by design. you'll need to read the wlan-ng
doc's but pretty much you do most of your configuring in the /etc/wlan/
directory.

i hope that helps, and let me know if you actually get it to work, as i
am still trying to get mine to work.

augie.

- --
irc.nblug.org #nblug