[NBLUG/talk] NBLUG website critique

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jun 15 14:35:01 PDT 2003

Rick said:
> A Google search for 'nblug', using http://www.google.com,
> returns www.nblug.org as the first entry.
>
> However, using the slightly different starting search page
> http://www.google.com/linux, as suggested in a recent nblug post,
> does not return any direct references to www.nblug.org!
>
> Curious... does anyone know why not?

Yep. It has to do with how google scores pages and groups "linux" items.
One of the biggest scores for google comes from the URL. If the hostname
includes the keywordword (linux) then it received a very high score. If
the path includes the keyword, then that also leads to a high mark.

Do a search for LUGOD and you may also find this hypothisis to be supported.

Solution?

If I create a web page in a folder called "linux" on enigma that has a
file "linux.shtml" I will likely get at least one hit in the
google.com/linux search. (double entry in path, one for dir and one for
file)

For now, I have added the keyword to the title for all of our pages. I
hope this is sufficient, but am going to guess it may not be enough.
Later, I may be able to come up with a method to get google to index us.
It will (of course) take from a few weeks to a few months before it
actually started indexing the new pages to get us included in
google/linux. It would just require content to go with a linux subfolder
and file that is called linux.shtml before I could commit to it. (I don't
like abusing what I guess to be part of the google search algorithm.)

-ME