[NBLUG/talk] Man I hate Windoze

Steve srj at adnd.com
Thu Jun 19 11:00:03 PDT 2003

Well, I decided to put the second hard drive into my
system and install win2k on it..  So I get the drive all in stalled, had
to put it on the secondary controller because the cdrom and th primary
hard drive were on the primary controller =), so I put in
my Win2K CD, start the install.. Win2K does all its 'who knows what'
crap and takes forever before it gets to the point where I select a disk
to do the install.

So I cursor down to the new unformatted/unpartitioned drive and select it.
 Next screen... Windows pops up with a message saying its just
fine and dandy about installing its self on that drive.. But it
will require space on the primary drive for the installation.  The
it complains that non of the formats on the primary drive are compatible
with win2k and that I should delete them and re-create them in a win2k
compatible format.

WTF! Win2K is all happy with what I wanna do as long as I destroy my Linux
partitions in the process.. Man Microsloth are bastards ain't they??

Well.. I rebooted, made some changes to my grub.conf file, made a change
to my /etc/sftab in regards to where Linux can find my swap partition..
Shut down the box, move my old drive to the secondary IDE controller..
Then moved the new drive to the primary IDE controller.. rebooted with the
Win2K CD in the drive..  Win2K installed just fine that way =) but of
course no more grub on the boot sector =)

Simple fix, rebooted onto my RH8.0 CD, typed 'Linux rescue' at the
prompt.. got up and running in rescue mode.. re-ran grub-install /dev/hd0,
oh and while I was at it, added the win2k entry to my grub.conf (forgot to
do that before) and then Boooya!!! we have grub/linux/win2k happiness.

All is working =) And as soon as I don't need this Win2K
crap anymore.. I'm gonna mkfs.ext3 that drive and have a nice 60gig file
server ha ha!

Anyways just wanted to share this with you all.

-Steve

--
----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."