[NBLUG/talk] Debian kernel source from initial install

Rob Orsini orsini at sonic.net
Sun Jun 22 15:51:02 PDT 2003

Well I first want to apologize for previously posting before doing a good
amount of research on my own first.  I just read a section in 'Running
Linux' that warned about people like me doing just that.  So, apologies for
that.

That being said, I have been heads down reading the Talk archives as well
as my pile of books, but I can't seem to find how to install the kernel
source from the initial Debian CD install.  I combed the cd's and found
empty directories named 'souce'.  I then grabbed the source corresponding
to my kernel version (2.2.20) from kernel.org.  Now I remember reading
something warning about just installing the kernel headers and not the full
source.  I downloaded linux-2.2.20.tar.gz and tossed it in /usr/src/
(/usr/src/liniux).  Then proceeded with configuration of pcmcia-cs (went
fine).  Then `make config` in linux-wlan-ng complained that my source was
just headers and not the full kit and kabootle.  Derailed the train.  Am I
missing something really easy here?