[NBLUG/talk] Debian

Ross Thomas spamb8r at netscape.net
Wed Jun 25 18:53:01 PDT 2003

Steve wrote:

> I think whats attracting me to Debian the most is the apt-get tool, it
> reminds me of the way BSD gets updates.. Except BSD seems to compile stuff
> from its manager.. (Havn't used BSD much)

In that case you may want to look at gentoo <http://www.gentoo.org>
It uses a BSD-like ports area that controls its content.  Like debian
it installs a very basic system to start and then you 'emerge' (as in
'e'-merge) the packages you want.  It's install is a little tricky
but since you've already tried debian it shouldn't be too daunting.

HTH.

Ross.