[NBLUG/talk] Can't get online w/new RH8 Install

Dave Sisley dsisley at mail.arczip.com
Mon Mar 10 10:15:01 PST 2003

From: augie <schwer at sonic.net>
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:21:01 -0800

>Dave Sisley wrote:
>| I just upgraded my IBM thinkpad from RH 7.2 to 8.0 and I'm having
>| trouble getting online via a pcmcia modem.  I have configured a
>| connection and can get it to dial out to my ISP and log in through
>| both the 'neat' GUI and wvdial.  But if I bring up mozilla or try
>| tp ssh into an outside server, nothing happens.  Any ideas?
>| Since I get 30 days of web support from RH, I sent them an email
>| on Sunday, but
>| <flattery>I thought I would ask the group here as well, I'll bet
>| you guys are faster!</flattery>
>| Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>possibly a routing and/or DNS issue. you could try pinging a known
>outside IP address instead of the domain name and see if that works.
>
>OR
>
>from the command line perform the follwing:
>
>/sbin/route -n
>cat /etc/resolv.conf
>
>my default gateway and dns are at the same ip on my LAN so i get
this:

>[augie at goku augie]$ /sbin/route -n
>Kernel IP routing table
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
   Use
>Iface
>192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
     0 eth0
>127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0
     0 lo
>0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
     0 eth0
>[augie at goku augie]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
>you'll be looking to see your isp's default gateway and dns machine
>respectively where i have '192.168.1.1'. i think that should help
narrow
>down the problem range. let us know what you find.
>
>augie
>

>- --
>irc.nblug.org #nblug
>registered linux user #229905
>gpg public key: http://www.sonic.net/schwer/schwer.asc
>Key fingerprint = 9815 AE19 AFD1 1FE7 5DEE  2AC3 CB99 2784 27B0 C072

Augie:

here is what I get running 'route -n' (I hope formatting holds up...):

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
  Use Iface
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0
    0 lo

my /etc/resolv.conf file is an empty file.  I don't suppose this
is correct, is it?  FYI, I am not running my own webserver,
usually.  I have apache loaded for learning purposes, but it is
not usually running.   If necessary, what is the easiest way to
find the numeric address of my ISP &/or DNS server?
As for pinging, I was unsuccessful (but I'm not sure I was doing
it right), but as I said, I can't ssh into a machine that I know
accepts it and where I have an account (SSU CS department).  Let
me know what you think.
Thanks again!
-- Dave.