[NBLUG/talk] Java v. C++ in Linux

Chad Krsek ckrsek at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 19:37:01 PDT 2003

> I would like to know if most Java and C++
> programmers prefer to work in a
> Linux or windoze environment?

I write all Java or C++ in linux for one simple
reason, I'd have to pay hundreds for an IDE
(integrated development environment) in windows,
wheras the gcc/g++ (c/c++ compiler), gdb (debugger),
joe (my favorite text editor) are all free.  If you
need your program to run in Windows, than that may be
a different story.  I don't, so I can't help you
there.

> Can you even work with Java or C++ in the Linux
> environment (I'm assuming
> that you must be able to)?

The java compiler is free too, just install the proper
SDK from sun and you can compile by 'javac
MyClass.java' and run by 'java MyClass'

> Also, between Java and C++, which is the better
> language?
> If Java is so great, then why hasn't it replaced C++
> as the leading
> programming language?

This is a matter of personal preferenc, and also
depends GREATLY on the purpose of your program.  I
think Java is easier, becasue of the Java API, and
because it is cleaner, but I like writing c++ better.

This is really a broad question, I could write pages
on the virtues of each. I recommend taking a course or
two.  It really depends on what you are trying to do.

More specific questions about the problems you are
trying to solve would help,