[NBLUG/talk] Advice for prospective Linux lap-topper?

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Thu May 8 15:37:01 PDT 2003

Jeff,

Find a machine you like in a local store where you can kick it's tires.
Take a copy of a KNOPPIX CD with you and boot the little monster right there.
I have a 3 year old Compaq Presario that took Mandrake, and KNOPPIX without
batting an eye. Video, audio, everything but the winmodem worked right from
the start.

If you order it and can customize it, buy more hard drive than you think
you'll need.

And research the wireless cards before you buy one. A number of them require
jumping through hoops to get them to work.

RH