[NBLUG/talk] Wireless networking/Kernel Source Code Questions

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Thu May 8 19:43:00 PDT 2003

augie wrote:

> Dave Sisley wrote:
>
>>I hope the following isn't too long, but in essence, I have 2
>>questions:
>>1. How do I get a Belkin wireless PCI card to run on my RH8 box?
>>2. How do I get the source code installed on my machine?
>>Question 2 may be moot, but I think I need to do this to get what I
>>think is the right driver (linux-wlan-ng-0.2.0) running.
>

> dave, did you ever get this working?
>
> the linux-wlan-ng stuff is probably what you want. follow their
> instructions to the letter, and all should work.
>
> i remember there were a couple of source packages you needed (kernel,
> pcmcia-cs, maybe more). but whatever source you need just install the
> source rpm for your distro version.
>
> to clarify, if you had the package pcmcia-cs-3.2.4-1.rpm installed on
> your machine (which you could find out by doing a rpm -qa | grep
> 'pcmcia') you would want to install pcmcia-cs-3.2.4-1.src.rpm . that way
> you get the sources that already are known to work with your distro.
>
> augie.

Hey, augie:

Thanks for replying. In short, no, I haven't solved my problem yet.
Unfortunately, I've had to put this on hold. Life has a way of getting
in my way.

I poked around for awhile and even broke down and called Belkin (the
complete absence of the word 'linux' on their website made me think a
call would be pointless).  It turns out that I have a new-ish version of
the pci card that (if I understand this correctly) does *not* use the
prism2 chipset, but the Atmel set (The card (Belkin F5D6001) I have is
labeled 'version 2' on the box.).  At least that's what I think it's
called.  The tech support fellow at Belkin called it the "Amtel" chip,
and suggested I get that driver, but google pointed out that perhaps I
meant the "Atmel" chip and pointed me to a driver.  Of course, I haven't
gotten it to work with that driver yet, either.

I'm not quite despairing, but I blame myself abit for not doing more
research *before* buying the cards.  There's not alot of documentation
re:  Belkin & Linux -- that should have been a warning sign.  I also
don't know anything about network configuration.

I hope that my schedule will lighten up in the next few weeks and I can
work on this again.  I'm sure I'll have some more questions then
(although in the meantime, if anyone has any insights, I'd be grateful).

See you next Tuesday!

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at arczip.com