[NBLUG/talk] linux distro

Daniel Smith linux2002 at daniel.org
Wed May 28 16:52:00 PDT 2003

Red Hat is nice because you can get up and running
with less effort than, say, Debian.  I recently
wanted Linux on my laptop, and I was pleased that
Red Hat could guess everything correctly.  I run
Debian on other machines, but just didn't want
to put extra time into figuring out a bunch of
laptop idiosyncrasies.

Another point in RH's favor is that it is such a
well-known distro, so there are more people that
can personally comment on setup issues.

Two rules of thumb:
more generic hardware -> greater choice of distributions
newer to Linux -> go with an easier install, can get fancy later

"just run and be done, or tweak till next week!"

Daniel

--
Daniel L. Smith - Sonoma County, CA - AIM: SonomaDaniel
JavaJoint.com   - daniel.org        - ThereAndThen.org