[NBLUG/talk] linux distro

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu May 29 14:38:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:36:22AM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
} I would say start with RedHat.
}
} It's a US distro.
} It's a well documented distro

Yup.  Just a couple years ago RedHat was pretty buggy and I recommended
Mandrake, but RedHat has caught up for ease of installation and use.
Install it and almost everything just works.

SuSE does have YAST, which isn't completey redesigned every year or so
like RedHat's tools seem to be.  And they do have a nice book.  If you
are going to pay, the SuSE is a good choice.  If you are going to
download use RedHat.

} The main reason I hear of people liking Debian is due to apt.
}
} For that reason I have seen many people adapting RedHat distro's to work
} with apt.

apt for RPM with redhat is really great, but you still have the tramatic
experience of doing an upgrade with a new version comes out.  Upgrades
in Debian are more gradual and distributed.  You don't have to burn or
buy new CDs or risk having the system be destroyed by an upgrade
problem.

} Keep in mind rarely is there anything done on one distro that can't be
} done on another.
}
} In the end they are all flavors of basically the same thing, Linux
} Kernel, GNU software.

Put another way:  All linux distributions are annoying.  Some are much
more annoying than others, none are as annoying as windows.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com