[NBLUG/talk] Sharp Zaurus

troy fryman at sonic.net
Sat Nov 1 21:11:02 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:56:23AM -0800, Nadina wrote:
>    I had to move recently and a lot of stuff including my Linux box went
>    into storage.  But I do have the Sharp Zaurus 5600 and I wondering if
>    anyone else is familiar with it?  Bill...I think I read a post about
>    you and the Zaurus..was I hallucinating?

I think Bill is into the triple digits on Zaurus posts across various
online forums ;-)

> I was curious if anyone had used any of TheKompany.com software?  I
> was looking at getting the Kapital software for both my Linux box and
> the Zaurus.  I had been using Quicken and Pocket Quicken on my Palm
> and I liked being able to sync them up.
>
>    I also was interested in the tkcPhone, but haven't looked into that
>    very much.

You could probably get some feedback on these apps on the zaurus-general
mailing list (or openzaurus-users if you go that route).

One thing about the tkc apps -- absolutely, positively, NO refunds.
I've heard some of their apps are good (though not all) and its a mixed
bag on support, with a fair share of negative impressions in that
regard.

>    My other question is - is there a way to sync the Zaurus with a
>    Linux box?  I was suprised that it didn't come with Linux software
>    to do that.

Sharp never figured out whether to market the Z as a Linux geek toy, or
a consumer/enterprise PDA.  So their support for Linux users has been
lukewarm.

Check out qtopiadesktop: http://www.trolltech.com/download/qtopia/
I played with it a bit back in the early Z days, and found it buggy.
After syncing, contacts were often duplicated.  I'm not familiar with
it's compatability with the new 3.x Sharp ROMs

I think there's a kde3 app called something like 'kitchensync', but am
totally unfamiliar with its capabilities.

It *is* a Linux box at heart :), so you can use traditional tools such as
unison and/or rsync to back things up.  That's how I do it, and its just
spiffy.  If you're a Evolution user or whatever, I can see where you'd
want something more akin to a true sync.

-troy