[NBLUG/talk] Grub and Windows XP

Murdock, Matt Matt.Murdock at brooks.com
Thu Nov 20 12:12:00 PST 2003

Thank you. I will do this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Rankin [mailto:kyle at nblug.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 1:08 PM
To: talk at nblug.org
Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Grub and Windows XP

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 02:36:28PM -0500, Murdock, Matt wrote:
> I know this has been beat to death, but, I must have done something wrong.
> 	I have a Red Hat Linux 9.0 installed on first 1/2 of a 60gb disk. XP
> on the 2nd Half. XP boots o.k. because it took over the MBR.
> When I boot linux rescue and chroot /mnt/sysimage, I then Fdisk /dev/hda
and
> toggled the linux partition to be active and went to issue the w to write,
> but got a error message saying device or resource is busy. and then
exited.
> I re-run fdisk and the active partition flag is set (on both linux and
> Windows Partitions). I made the changes as stated below, ran the command
> grub without any options and it sayed it was busy probing bios drives, so
> rebooted the computer and get a Invalid Partition Table.
>  I edited the grub.conf and added the following at the bottom before the
> grub command was issued (you had to run lilo -v after making changes to
> lilo.conf so I thought you had to do the same with Grub).
>
> title Windows XP
> root (hd0, X-2) ---> The windows XP partition is on /dev/hda3 (hda1=/, and
> hda2=swap, hda3=NTFS or HPFS, as seen from fdisk).
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> 	Is there a chance of recovery? How do I properly setup the grub.conf
> file? And do I issue anything else after the editing?
>
> Matthew R. Murdock
> Senior Systems/Network Admin./H.A.Admin.
> Brooks Automation
> 5245 W. Yeager Rd.
> Salt Lake City, UT 84116
> 801-736-3340

If the MBR is clear now (grub isn't installed on it yet) you just need to
run grub-install /dev/hda   and it will install grub on the MBR.  After
this, you can edit your grub configuration as much as you want and you
don't need to re-run grub-install (that's one of the differences grub has
over
lilo).  In addition, once grub boots up with the menu, you can change what
kernel it is pointing to along with a lot of other settings on the fly.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org