[NBLUG/talk] WiFi (802.11b) and linux

Mark Janes mkjanes at sonic.net
Fri Nov 21 22:28:00 PST 2003

Dave Sisley wrote:

 >On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:44:51PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
 >
 >>I would parrot the parrot as I own the version 3 of the Linksys card
which
 >>is a nice card... then they go and wreck it with realtek chipset in the
 >>next version.  sheeesh.
 >>
 >>As Paul, Kyle and myself know..... Atmel, Realtek and all the cheapo
 >>chipsets are a pain in the rear to troubleshoot....especially when
you are
 >>out of range of the AP. ; )
 >>
 >>Remember... that forever more the installfest room at SSU is NOT the
 >>most ideal place for installing,configuring and testing wireless
cards....
 >>It took me 2 days to stop shaking after the last installfest.... I had
 >>weird twitches, crying and uncontrollable laughter.
 >

 >EGADS, Mark!  That was *my* Atmel card... I'm so sorry.  Thing works
like a
 >charm now, though!  Man you were a good sport.
 >
 >I'm not sure if I should tell you this, but I just got a new laptop
 >(IBM G40) and loaded Suse 8.2 on it (those disks Robert gave me at the
 >installfest, in fact).  I'm currently working on getting the card to
 >work on Suse (gulp!).  I like Suse well enough so far, but they moved
 >a few things around (compared to RedHat), but I'm slogging through.
 >
 >I'm gonna check out that pcmcia-cs thing from sourceforge that ME
 >mentioned.  I checked the list of supported cards, and wouldn't you
 >know, my card was listed.
 >
 >Thanks again, Mark -- I'll try and leave you out of it this time.
 >
 >-dave.

Dave,

   Just noted in your last posting that you're running SuSE. They (SuSE)
believe that the orinoco driver will run a prismII based card. It will-
sort of, but the interface is REAL brittle; even 5 megabytes of data
through would crash mine so bad I had to reboot to reactivate the
interface :-( . If by some chance you end up with a prism2 card, it has
to be configured manually, but it's not too hard, just follow the
directions on the linux-wlan-ng project. This is only if you end up with
a prismII card, otherwise, if you can get an orinoco card, YaST will
happily set it up. BTW, the URL
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html not only has a fairly
complete list of which driver works with which card.