[NBLUG/talk] I think I broke my ping!

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Thu Oct 2 21:20:04 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:08:26PM -0700, Nat W wrote:
> I may just not be understanding your problem but do
> you have a hardware
> firewall? I am behind a linksys router, but you can
> configure to let
> certain ports through.
>
> -Nat W.

Nat:

I don't have a hardware firewall;  I'm currently using iptables.  I tried
setting up FireStarter per Mark's suggestion, but it did not help.  In
fairness, I haven't done enough research/experimentation to rule it out. I
think, though, that it may not work with my situation (dynamically assigned IP
address).

I've had to put this aside for a bit, but I am hoping to work this out via
iptables.  I need to do some more reading, but I think that I just need to
tell iptables to let ICMP in.

In the meantime, I'm busy un-breaking other stuff...

-dave.