[NBLUG/talk] Monitor Shutoff Fix

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Oct 6 21:02:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:19:24PM -0700, ShadowEyez wrote:

} Running RH 8 on 2.2.18-14 with a Hitachi 17-in LCD.  Nice monitor, but
} it seems that every 10 minutes or so of inactivity will cause the
} monitor to go into "low power" mode and thus shut itself off.  All it
} takes is a keystroke or mouse click to get it back, but is there a way
} to NOT have it do this.  I have looked everywhere in KDE's various
} control panels/modules with no success.  The power saving section has
} nothing to do with monitor controls and the help files are as usual...
} lacking.  BTW, this is a dual boot system (the other being windoze) and
} windoze never does this, so I know the monitor is not acting crazy.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config comment out this line:

   Option "dpms"

Restart X.

It will be in: Section "Monitor"

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com