[NBLUG/talk] OpenOffice 1.1 ISO has arrived; time to gear up for the schools!

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 12:18:00 PDT 2003

>From: "Bob Blick" <bobblick at covad.net>
>To: <talk at nblug.org>
>Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] OpenOffice 1.1 ISO has arrived; time to gear up
>for the schools!
>Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:37:30 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Bill Kendrick said:
>
> > How hard is it for a teacher to sit down, look at something 'different'
> > like OpenOffice.org, and say to themselves "hrm... this doesn't look
> > harder to use compared to MS Office"!? :^)
>
>I absolutely agree with you. OOo is more like MS Office than one version
>of MSO is to another version of MSO.

Another good point.  Maybe I should start keeping track of these
pro-OpenOffice comments and assemble a second flyer!

>The biggest complaint I hear is "it must be poorly written software
>because it takes so long to load"

So why don't they complain that Windows XP "must be poorly written software
because it takes so long to load"?  Not to imply that Windows XP isn't
poorly written, of course!

By the way, OpenOffice 1.1 loads significantly faster than previous versions
(although it's still not as fast as AbiWord).  Do you know which version
they were referring to?

>The definition of "eternity" used to be the time between the light turning
>green and the car ahead of you starting to move. Now I guess it's the
>length of time a program takes to load :-)

A quick look at a good joke book gives quite a few more such definitions of
eternity.  For example, eternity can also be defined as the second hour of
Trivial Pursuit, the second ten minutes of aerobics, or waiting for an tow
truck in the rain.

Perhaps these could be used to give some perspective on how long OpenOffice
(or any other large but well-written non-Microsoft application) loads.

But enough Microsoft-bashing; Microsoft engineers are pretty smart.  I know
of one Microsoft engineer who learned that mosted accidents occurr within 5
miles of home, so he moved.